Importing a motor vehicle into New Zealand
All used vehicles entering New Zealand for the first time must go through a NZTA border check or vehicle border inspection. NZ Customs Service also check import tax or duty requirements and the Ministry for Primary Industries check for biosecurity, eg. the presence of any insects or mud on or in the vehicle.
IVS is a designated Border Inspection Organisation (BIO) who completes the vehicle border inspection on behalf of NZTA in accordance with NZ vehicle standards law.
How to book an IVS Vehicle Border Inspection
- Ask your Customs Broker or Agent to book it on your behalf
- Send a copy of any of the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Biosecurity Authority Clearance Certificate (BACC) or
- Bill of Lading or
The benefits of using IVS
- Nationwide inspection service for on or off port inspections
- Simple online booking process
- Prompt service - our inspectors will be there when you need them
- Competitive pricing
Want to know more about the Border Inspection process? Here are some useful links:
- What is recorded?
- What happens if the vehicle has damage or deterioration?
- Vehicle release
- Standards vehicles must meet to go on the road
- Evidence / documentation required
- Arranging transport to get it to NZ
- Importing your vehicle into NZ
- Clearance procedures
- Concessionary entry
- Temporary entry
- Checking and meeting the requirements set on the Import Health Standards (IHS)
- Completing a declaration
- Biosecurity inspection of used vehicles and machinery